Here are some latest stats on how long it takes to synchronise with the Ethereum blockchain. Geth can run in 3 modes. Fast, full or light.

In light mode, geth gets only the current state. To verify elements, it needs to ask to full (archive) nodes for the corresponding tree leaves.


> geth --syncmode=light

will take about 15-20 minutes and take about 500Mb of disk space. The starting block was about 300,000 blocks behind the current block.


In fast mode, which is the default so no flag is required, it can take a bit of time. It gets the block headers, the block bodies, it processes no transactions until current block - 64(*). Then it gets a snapshot state and goes like a full synchronization

> geth

For me it took 1 hr to download 60% of the blockchain but the remaining 40% took another 5 hrs. It currently takes ~120 Gb of HDD.



Fully mode will take over 1Tb in storage and will take forever to sync. Currently sync’ing so TBA.


The specs of my laptop is:

The Internet connection was around 50Mb/s (Wireless home fibre)



2 thoughts on “How long does it take to do geth sync?

  1. Still syncing full mode? 😀 I’m in more than 24 hours and it’s always behind of about 60-100 blocks; so maybe it’s what you said about the “-64” and takes a bit more…?

  2. It should take a few days to sync with a ssd drive for standard mode. As of Aug 2, 2019 my size on disk was 356 GB. The state entries hit to about 370 million before it showed that it was done.
    Quick screen shot at the finish..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *